Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fathers Day?

Today is Fathers Day... a day to celebrate the wonderful job that fathers all over the world do...

BUT

As I sit here writing this, covered in projectile vomit from my 5 month old, teething daughter, while my husband is away taking his almost 4 year old daughter back home to her mother and then going to work, I do wonder about a couple of situations... Like, those who do not want to celebrate their father due to their father not being interested in being a father and therefore while being part of the family ignored the fact that they are a father altogether, or abusive, or (in the case of a dear single mum friend of mine and her new darling daughter) have a father that just cannot be arsed to even acknowledge them... To some people, Fathers Day is not even worth thinking about, let alone celebrating!

According to dictionary.com a father is: "1. a male parent"... Very unexciting really! I did have a quick look at urbandictionary.com and the meanings in there become a lot more 'colourful'! Personally, a father to me is not just the man who you share 50% of your DNA with, a father needs to be a person who loves you unconditionally, protects you, helps you grow and learn about life and the world around you, and basically gives a damn about you... Looking down the list on dictionary.com, I feel a little better to see that "to father" also means "20. to assume as one's own; take the responsibilty of"...

I then think of another friend of mine, who has two young children to her ex-finace... But is now dating a decent, kind and loving mutual friend of ours. This is technically his "first" Fathers Day, as the children now call him DAD, and I feel a little hope welling deep down inside me... I can only hope that we can all find someone decent and worth saying "Happy Fathers Day" to, even if that person is not biologically our father...

HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all the dads out there, especially those who are decent enough to be fathers to those who may not be biologically theirs. I tip my hat to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment